Monday 25 May 2009

Woman fired for not wearing makeup

"It was a shock! The even bigger shock, was when I found out, it was within his legal rights to do so."Vild, 27, has never "put a face on." "I have never worn makeup in my life. I just don't like it," Vild said. "When (the boss) told me I need to dress like I am going out with the man of my dreams, that did it for me."Several years ago, the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled that it is not discriminatory for employers to require women wear makeup."Just because it's legal doesn't mean it's right," Vild said. Vild said it was alright for her to work at Trophy's for five years, but she's convinced that she was terminated because of her refusal to wear makeup. She said this isn't the first time her former boss has fired someone for not putting on makeup. Attorney Richard Wirtz said it is up to the jury to decide whether Vild has a case."She should go through the facts of her case. In every discrimination case, it's always facts intensive. Vild says she wants to get the word out to other employers. "The real irony in the story is Mark Oliver has called his restaurant the 'all-American grill,' and not all of America wears makeup. Not all America looks like they should be on the cover of a Vogue magazine, there's more to it," Vild said. In the meantime, Vild just got a new job bartending, where she says, no makeup is needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment