Friday 10 July 2009

Holy Tree Stump.. ?

Religion ..hate it or love it but its everywhere & you cant escape it .. I know as anywhere I go in Ireland there is never a church far from view & normally it doesn’t bother me but when people see the virgin Mary in a cup of tea or on a slice of toast I have to wonder. Today thousands of Catholics are flocking to a county limerick church to pray to a tree stump.. The reason? This tree stump looks a little like the virgin Mary. Apparently during a recent storm a tree fell only to reveal the image of the blessed mother. At first a few dozen people showed up to witness the stump.. Then hundreds now its thousands. The local church themselves take the stand that its not a miracle & that people need to stop flocking to it because it really is only a tree stump & not divine. I suppose people would like to think it was something special because it might give them hope in a time where the world is hit with hard economic times ..true back in the 1980s when there was a recession & many people claimed to see images of Mary popping up everywhere. The stump has boosted the parish’s local trade but as for me I’ll start worrying about it when she appears in my bathroom or in one of my own trees.

No comments:

Post a Comment