Monday 9 November 2009

Uncharted 2: among thieves – game review (PS3)

I never played the first uncharted game so I didn’t know what to expect from uncharted 2, I knew it got incredibly high ratings on nearly every single games site & magazine so really that was enough for me to buy it. The plot is all over the place but it never got too overwhelming that I got lost & wondered what was going on. Luckily though the games locations are more than enough to accompany the vast plot & story outlines.. So what’s it all about? You take the role of drake a kind of Indiana Jones explorer who has a fondness for finding not only treasure but trouble. The first thing I noticed was that drake was easily the most likable video games character I have seen, at times I felt sorry for him ..then at other times I felt like he was a real hero. The plot revolves around drake stopping a war criminal from taking possession of a precious jewel that is said to be worth hundreds of millions.. But there is more to the treasure than meets the eyes. Drakes character movements are near on perfect & though there was maybe one or two times he missed a ledge only to leap off a mountain into the abyss he really was a joy to play with. When I first heard about the game my immediate thought was “on no not another indy game with way too many puzzles & no action”.. but wow was I wrong.

Its an action packed thrill ride providing hours of play where at one minute you could be in the middle of an intense fire fight through the streets of an invaded city & the next high up in the Tibetan mountains hanging from a monastery. The level design is incredible & the best I have seen on any games console to date, textures jump off the screen & it drips with atmosphere. At one point in the game I was in the middle of a storm with lighting crashing & rain pouring down all around me.. I would have stopped to really admire the scene but unfortunately there was a platoon of heavily armed mercenaries trying their best to kill me. There were moments too where I was hanging from a cliff or beam of a Turkish palace where I did stop to have a look & every time my reaction was the same “wow”. the sound too is stunning & beautifully composed to suit every aspect of both play & atmosphere, even the sound of water trickling is crisp & clear while a the sound of a desert eagle being fired off is not too deafening but still provides enough bang to make you think it’s the real thing. Did I mention its cinematic? If the story & cut-scenes were a movie it would stand-up to almost any Hollywood blockbuster on the market.

There really are not enough nice things I can say about this game, every little detail is perfect from the combat to the climbing. The levels are so impressive that you will find yourself stopping to look at your surroundings & take in the spectacular visuals. I have still yet to play the multiplayer modes but I’m already going through the game again for another play through this time I’m using many of the tweaks I unlocked/bought such as character skins/weapons. The fact that once I had finished it I started again 5mins later really speaks for how good the game actually is, I have been hearing good things about the multiplayer too but at the time of writing this I was only a few hours away from the release of call of duty 6 so I have still yet to try it out. If you do have a ps3 then you really should buy this game it wont disappoint & its worth every penny - uncharted 2: among thieves gets a well deserved 10/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment