Tuesday 19 May 2009

Burnout Paradise: Ultimate Box - game review

Straight off there are 2 versions of burnout paradise, both have more or less the same name except one of them (this one) has that extra “the ultimate box” written on the box. So what’s the difference between them? Well ultimate box has a hell of a lot more in it! Not only does it have lots of the online content like extra cars/game modes (even bikes now) but it also has little fixes like day to night cycle & enhanced weather effects. I always loved the burnout series ever since I played the first one on the ps2, they weren’t taken too seriously back then because of the way they played but this latest instalment really changes that all. Its seriously jam packed with things to do & they drop you right into paradise city with the whole map fully unlocked, I think they do this to let you go get used to the roads & explore the map which really does work because when you do get into a race or challenge you have a good enough idea of a few secret routes & shortcuts. So obviously it’s a racing game & it delivers when it comes to realistic car controls & character models but this is a burnout game so there is lots of crashing & crazy stunts thrown in.

I wasn’t sure if I’d get tired of the game because of all the racing but the different game modes offer such a variance that I kept playing all the way from my first license up to my A class license (that’s well over 300 races!) its not only the racings that kept me coming back for more, at nearly every set of traffic lights in the city is a challenge/race that can be activated by hitting the top 2 shoulder buttons. Game modes include racing/road rage/marked man/stunt run/ burning route, they all start off easy enough but as you get closer to that A licence it gets much tougher & in events like marked man/road rage unless you give it your all you will be annihilated by the other drivers. Burnout paradise was a nice little surprise for me because so many people assumed it would be just another burnout game, it was a lot more & maybe one of the funniest games I have played in a long time. One thing I have heard people complain about is the soundtrack to the game.. Fair enough its not amazing but do those same people know you can play your own songs (from your hard drive) through the game on both the ps3 & 360, doubtful. If you are looking for a game that’s easy to pick up & play then I highly recommend this game, its great value for money & so much fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment