Tuesday 19 May 2009

Call of Duty 4 modern warfare - game review

OK so the game is old now & its making me feel all nostalgic even writing about it but it still packs a wallop. A lot of the games I reviewed today have something in common (they are old enough titles that I never got around to reviewing before) call of duty was released back in 2007 so that too fits right into the category. Since its release it has won countless awards & by June 2008 it sold over 10 million copies, so 10 million people cant be wrong..right?. Set in locations like Ukraine/Azerbaijan & the Middle East you alternate between an American marine & a British SAS commando. The characters are likable & the plot is believable with a few little twists along the way. There have been many call of duty games before this one but they were never set in the modern battlefield, that’s what really hooked me in the first place - because its more modern its more realistic & definitely more believable than the previous world war 1 & 2 games, don’t get me wrong I enjoyed the previous call of duty games but for me I much rather prefer the modern approach. The game is packed full of great combat & incredible graphics that really sell the power of nextgen consoles. There are stacks of weapons that you can use & all of them handle/sound/feel & shoot like the real thing, mp5s/m4a1s/m203 grenade launchers/claymores/grenades/night vision goggles & even sniper rifles, my favourite of course is the sniper rifle & there is one level where you need to calculate the power of the wind before carrying out a very important one shot one kill scenario. The single player campaign plays exceptionally well with a great story, amazing level design, powerful music, raw realistic combat & a whole host of other features.

The online multiplayer is really where the game comes to life & it’s the first game to really sell me on playing online games. Its hard to really sum it all up in words, it has the usual death match features but what really stands out is the reward system. Put simply the better your performance & the more enemies you take out the higher your score & the more perks you are awarded, the perks system works flawlessly & it adds a serious lifespan that will have you logging on day after day to unlock that special something you are after, for me it was the .50 barrett rifle that I earned by levelling up & up.

There are not enough good things I can say about this game its simply perfect & it plays solidly. I wasn’t a serious first person shooter fan when I first got it but I quickly picked up the controls & through playing the campaign I learned all the skills to use for online play. Whatever you do play the campaign first! Too many people seem to be buying games like this & going straight to the multiplayer, if you do end up doing that with call of duty 4 you will really miss out on one of the best gaming experiences ever. The game came out in 2007 & recently part 5 was released but 5 is not a follow-up to part 4 so avoid it if you want the modern experience again, instead wait until November 10th 2009 when the proper sequel Call of Duty modern warfare 2 will be released & trust be it will be well worth the wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment